Friday, July 9, 2010

Domestication

What I am about to say, I say knowing I am putting myself at risk of any guy reading this and wanting nothing to do with me ;)
I am NOT domestic. I am not a clean freak, I can't cook, I can't sew, the thought of doing my daughter's hair makes me feel so bad for them, because until they learn how to do it themselves they are going to have some sad school pictures and what not. I'm not very crafty, I don't like shopping (unless it's for shoes) I don't know the first thing when it comes to decorating. I am a sad excuse for a woman. I know the error of my ways, and I am trying to do what I can to fix those things (except for sewing I couldn't really care less if I ever learn that skill.)
I am trying to cook more, I have the burn scars to prove it.
When I was little I used to watch my dad cook and I remember thinking it was so cool that he would just come up with things, he would just throw things together and it would come out delicious (with some exceptions, carrot candy Dad? Really?) I remember he let me play with some ingredients, I got a pot, filled it with water, and I think I made some concoction of water, peanut butter, some sort of green herb, salt and pepper and ketchup. Sounds yummy right, I also remember a time my mom was cooking onions and had to run somewhere and asked me to keep an eye on them, I told her I didn't know what to do, and she said, "Just keep an eye on them" So I did, I kept an eye on them, and I watched them burn. When she came back she was pretty upset, all I said was, I didn't know what to do, I didn't know when they were done or how to know if they were done, so I figured if they caught on fire I would stop it, but other than that it was a lost cause. I know what you are thinking, "You were a child at play, you didn't know what you were doing". I worry that whatever I would try to cook now would be a similar disaster.
I have had a couple successes at cooking, I once made dinner for a double date, we had chicken and rice, salad, these delicious appetizers and chocolate banana cream pie, all of which I made and I remember feeling like such a woman. When my date got there I wanted to don an apron and come to the door holding a broom or something. I know I COULD cook, I just don't, I am a very busy girl and honestly don't have the time, nor do I have a reason to really.
I blame part of this on being the youngest child. My sister had a little sister to practice hairstyles on, to practice hair cuts on, to practice make-up and what not. I had no such little sister. One time I tried to do Jennie's hair, she had braided my hair for girl's camp, and asked me to try to braid hers. After about 2 hours I finished and it looked horrible, so we had to take all the braids out, and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I was even able to practice on Jennie, I don't blame her.
My plan for my daughters is to live close to Jennie, and she can do their hair for school pictures, and dances, and church, and dates, and girl's camp, and school, and life really. I don't think she will mind ;). I will also depend on her to take them school shopping and tell them how to dress and what's cute.
When it comes to sewing, I just don't even try. I recently had a guy tell me his shoe broke in a place and asked if I could sew it back together, I wanted to laugh in his face a little bit. If a button pops off, it's staying off. If the pants or skirts are too long, I buy taller shoes. If I lose weight and the clothes are too big for me, they get tossed. I don't even attempt.
I'm hoping that some of these things will just come naturally with the title of wife/mother. I don't think that is an unreasonable hope.
I'm taking steps here and there, but I think the road to domestication is a long one, and a rocky one, and I wear heels and trip a lot so this should be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about doing their hair for every single occasion in life, but I will definitely take them shopping! (on your dime, of course) And all you need to do is marry someone like Brock who cooks, cleans, and shops, and you're set! Yes, once again, I have the perfect husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I fail so miserably. Come live with me after I retire and we can have cooking lessons. I think that would be fun, don't you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very good at the make-up thing. I suck at it. So there's one point for you!

    ReplyDelete