Thursday, July 8, 2010

Who Knew?

Ok so for at least the last 6 years I have had such a problem with the fact that guys only want to be my friend. Many of my blog posts talk about that.
The other day I was talking to a friend of mine and I had an interesting realization.

I am the type of girl who has always had a guy best friend. I love it, they are good to talk to and get dating advice. They are fun to hang out with and play sports with. I also love being the girl in their life that they can tell anything to. The girl in their life that other girls envy because of our friendship. The problem was, I was also interested in these guys, and if I had my way we would probably be dating.
Recently I met a guy who in the beginning everything was great, it had "friendship" written all over it from the time we met. I was interested in him, but my interest got to a certain point that it could either grow if he did something or fade entirely if he didn't, but I really wanted to be his friend. We had a connection in a way that I didn't have with a lot of people. From the beginning I had him pegged as my next "best friend". The problem is, for what seemed like the first time, he didn't seem too interested in me being his best friend. This I am not used to.
It started to drive me crazy. I am used to guys wanting to spend so much time with me, not because they were interested in me, but because they just liked to be with me, as friends. Something that bothered me for so long, but then when a guy didn't react that way, THAT bothered me even more.
I realized something that made me feel like a total hypocrit. I prefer being friends. WHAT? The thing I have been so mad about for like 6 years, I actually prefer?
I realized that if these guys don't want to date me, I still want to be their friend. I want to still be that person that they tell everything to. I like being there for people, I like feeling needed, and it really bothers me to feel like he doesn't need me. Who knew I would feel this way? I did not see this coming.

1 comment:

  1. Story of my life! I have so many guy friends, all of whom I want to or once upon a time wanted to date, but it never happened, and it's been torture on occasion. I have a guy right now that I have wanted to get to know better, but he simply isn't interested even in friendship. It's driving me insane... almost more so than any of the dating problems before. What do we do? Goodness gracious.

    ReplyDelete