Saturday, June 9, 2012

Proper Cartwheel Form...

I am realizing that this post is LONG over-due. It is a story I have told and retold and never ceases to disappoint.
Nearly 10 years ago I was at my Alma Mater (can it be an Alma Mater if you only went for one year?) Utah State University. Oh how I loved my time there. I made some amazing friends that I will have for the rest of my life. We may not see each other often, we may not talk often, but when we do, it's like we were never apart.
Among those friends was a girl named Sarah Mae Smith (now Bindrup but I'll always refer to her as Mae Flower). To this day she is one of the sweetest girls I've ever known, not to mention beautiful and smart. I feel the need to inflate her a bit because the story I'm about to tell... well, it's awesome.
One day we were all sitting in the lounge of the Valley View Tower 2nd floor lobby (aka the lobby of our dorm) just talking, laughing and having a good time.
In the corner of my eye I noticed Mae Flower standing by the hall raising her hands HIGH above her head, as though she was reaching for the ceiling.
This raised my suspicions a tad so I asked,
"Sarah... what are you doing?"
Very sweetly and innocently she replied,
Well... I want to do a cartwheel, but I'm afraid I'm going to kick the ceiling."
Bless her heart. Bless her beating heart. I smiled and said,
"If you can stand like this (and reach my hands high above my head) and not touch the ceiling, you'll be fine."
It was in this moment, she dropped her hands to her side, frustratingly placed them on her hips, scowled at me like I was an idiot and said,
"Uh... your legs are longer!"
Bless her ever-loving, beating heart. All I said in return was,
"You're right."

2 comments: