Friday, March 15, 2013

New Life

So, about a month and a half ago I decided to move to Arizona...
The whole decision process was a pretty easy one. It happened really fast and I never looked back on that decision. Once my mind was made up, I knew I was doing the right thing and was really excited to go. Things just kept happening to prove that Arizona was where I needed to be.
Last Monday I arrived in The Grand Canyon State with my poppa. We went shopping, built a desk, got my room organized saw the sights a bit, and the next day I took him to the airport and I was on my own.
This whole time, even now, it has been really surreal. It never really hit me that I was changing everything. I said goodbye to everyone and everything I know, to move to a state where nothing would be familiar and I would have to start from scratch.
The idea of that was very appealing. Totally clean slate, I could be whoever I wanted to be, completely independent. However, now that I'm living it, it's kind of a different story.
I told everyone before I moved that I knew the beginning would be hard. I knew that one day I would be grateful, I knew without doubt that I was doing the right thing, and I knew that "eventually" I would know why and be so happy I made this change, however, I knew in the beginning it would be really hard.
Well my friends, it's the beginning.
The first week here I just spent grocery shopping and buying decor and driving around getting acclimated. I signed up for a gym, I got my drivers license I visited a friend in a nearby city. Those things do NOT fill a week. I was bored, and I had no one to call. No one that I could just be like, "Hey let's go to a movie" I was really bored.
There were times when I would just sit in my room and think, "You know this was the right thing to do, you know you came here for a reason, you KNEW this would be hard, you just gotta bide your time."
I kept thinking back on when I first went away to college. It was the same thing, I didn't know anyone. I made friends relatively fast but it was like a good 4-5 months before I met the girls that I would become best friends with. The thought of having to wait 4-5 months for that here wasn't totally pleasant.
This past week I started work. This has made a huge difference.
I am working for my same company but doing a different job, so I have just been training all week. I can already tell I am going to like it here. The people are really cool, the office is really laid back and the jobs available here are ones I think I'd enjoy.
Every day I go to work, go to the gym and go home. Having a routine has already made a huge difference. I still don't really know anyone other than my roommates (which are great) but having something to fill the day is so much better than... not.
So the first two weeks have happened. It's still crazy to me that I made this huge change. I am anxious to see what this move has in store for me. I know it will be a while before I'm totally happy that I came here, but it's getting better each week. (Easy to say when you had one bad week and one alright one... hopefully they will continue to get better each week)_

1 comment:

  1. I like your attitude about it. "I knew it would be hard at first, but I know this is where I'm supposed to be."

    In no time you will have forever-friends. Sometimes it takes time to discover the reason why Heavenly Father nudged us to take one road over another; but when the realization comes, it is so sweet.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete