Monday, November 7, 2011

Memoirs of a Youngest Child

When I was in 3rd grade Jennie and I would be off-track at the same time. Both of our parents worked as did our cousin Michelle's parents. So when we would be out of school for those weeks we would either go to Michelle's house for the day, or she would come to ours.
Jennie and Michelle were both in 5th grade and I, as previously mentioned, was in 3rd, which meant if I wanted to play with them, I had to do what they said.
Nearly every day we would make lunch and then we would watch The Unsinkable Molly Brown "Belly up... Belly up to the bar boys, better loosen your belt. Only drink when you're all alone or with somebody else." I don't know how we never got sick of that movie, but somehow we didn't.
Every day lunch was a grand event. We would use cookie sheets as special trays. We would pretend that we were at this fancy restaurant which we named "Croutons" and for some reason the food and the service at this make-believe restaurant was always horrible, at least that is how we'd act it out, yet that was always "where we'd eat".
Jennie and Michelle would go all out preparing this meal that we would all eat together. I always wanted to help, but they wouldn't let me. So I just had to wait for them to get it all ready and then we'd all eat together.
Once the meal was over and the kitchen was destroyed and it was time to clean up Jennie and Michelle would say, "k Julia, you have to clean up since you didn't help cook."
Memoirs of a youngest child.

No comments:

Post a Comment