Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A War of Words

Today something happened that shall remain as one of the most awesome things to happen. I got into a poem fight. My friend got engaged last night so I wrote on her wall on facebook a little sonnet. In response a mutual friend of ours saw my sonnet and raised me a sonnet. There it began. I can't let this die in the never ending abyss that is facebook, so I am copying it here. It makes me happy. We begin
There once was a girl named Kristen, For a husband was all she was wishin She conquered her fears (only took three years) This is one event I shan't be missin. Congrats roommate, I'm so happy for you.
His response
I raise this sonnet with another sonnet: Kristen and Spencer sitting in a tree, They will be as happy as can be But first they will wed And raise their street cred This poem is better than Julias.
In between these comments the suggestion was posed to have a poem battle at the reception, whoever wins gets to initiate the cake fight.... This was our reaction
Challenge accepted :) It's on Michael Hanks BRING IT
Him
I accept this challenge, just you see That my slew of words will set cake free And bless our ears with a sugary rhyme Then push the baked good squabble line So bring your best my opponent of late Cause in the end I will be victor, and you…the lone roommate.
Me
Gasp! Said she, in reply to his threat I shan't be undone, though the bar has been set. I know this girl well having shared the same wall But I know you as well and I know you shall fall. The date has been set and the stakes have been made When the challenge is won through the cake YOU shall wade.
Him
I am aghast at such a quick reply That surely has caught my eye Yet not enough though a decent try To beat my cunning, funny ply For you will be beat no one can deny Such a worthy foe she may ask why To be scaled next to this Hanks guy Is a sure way to lose, a sure way to cry Yet the real winner here, I will not lie Is the soon to be wed couple on high
Me
You should be aghast that just shows you're unfit To compete with this girl, who has such unmatched wit Though never before has this battle been waged You'll feel I'm a pro once completely upstaged. So again I say BRING IT. Let the games begin In this first annual wedding sonnet war we're in.
Him
Such big words for such a weak refrain For the king of the hill I will remain This sonnet war more like an unfair fight Where surely I’ll rule the wedding night And you left alone in a poets disdain Like a stray cat in the pouring rain
Me
Such harsh words and surprising "big talk" For one who most assuredly will walk Whist I remain as the cake fight goes on With smile on my face when the victory's won. You can rhyme, you can sing you can even dance None of this save you from my poetic lance. A worthy component you well may be But someone in my shadow is all I see.
Him
You won’t give up, and so I’ll cease And give this FB thread some peace And let our Kristen bask in the joy Of telling the world about her boy But now know this before I end My piercing words will surely mend Your empty threats and bland prowess That soon will leave you a cakey mess
Me
K :)
Did I tell you, or did I tell you... straight up awesomeness.

9 comments:

  1. Michael Hanks, will you marry me? Jules, will you be my sister wife?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kelly O. I'd be honored. I don't think we should waste time in getting to know each other. What are you up to next Saturday? If that is too soon...maybe we can fit a few dates in there before we wed.

    Anxiously awaiting your reply,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, Kelly is my bestie so treat her well... she deserves only the best.
    Kelly, I haven't told you this but Mike and I were husband and wife once so I can assure you he would make you happy.
    I will sing at your wedding, and expect your first child to be named Julia.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Micheal,

    I've always felt that getting to know a person is a waste of time. I mean, all I need to know is that you can procreate, correct? I've never heard the commandment, "Get to know one another. Make sure he's handsome and fun and financially fit." And with prose like that spouting from your mouth, I'm fairly certain you'll do fine in the multiplying and replenishing aspect of our marriage. Perhaps we should wait and have a double wedding with Kristen and Spencer? Save some money for the kids?

    Desirably Yours,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my new love Kelly O.,

    You cannot imagine how my heart sang when I read that you feel the same way about all this getting to know each other mumbo jumbo. However, I am handsome (very handsome actually), Funny and I make so much money that Richie Rich calls me for financial advice. So you need not worry. Ok. maybe only 1 or 2 of those are true. Multiplying and replenishing this earth is my #1 priority in life. Prepare to have millions of babies.

    Would this be considered online dating?

    Julia...if Kelly is to be my wife...she will be treated as delicate flower laid on a bed of precious stones. Unless she speaks up and doesn't make me dinner. Then it will be over. Like us.

    Back to Kelly - Temple, next Saturday, be there. You can FB stalk me all week if you want to know what I look like.

    Eternally Lucky and Enchanted,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has become uncomfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael My Sweet,

    Fortunately I know that you are handsome and funny having observed you from afar (and I assure you without binoculars) so there is no need to convince me of anything. Money isn't important as long as we have love--and babies. Hundreds of thousands of people in this country live that way and the government seems to continue to support their decision so I say, why not us (that is, if you make slightly less than Richie Rich).

    I believe dating in any form only qualifies if the following conditions are met: planned, paid for, and paired off. This was neither planned nor are we paired off since Julia is very much involved in our conversation. Paid for is also questionable though technically I assume someone is paying for your internet connection. I consider this, however, love at first site.

    I appreciate how you will treat me though I prefer some type of memory foam mattress topper to a bed of stones... unless those stones are diamonds and in that case, it'd be negotiable.

    I'll be seeing you soon.

    With beams of sunshine and rainbow rays shooting out of my love cannon,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia - I am sorry. Forgive Kelly and I for our love notes to each other on your post. It's just...sometimes, love has its way of communicating and its not the way we would expect.

    Kelly - lets take this offline

    Forever your humble, rich, baby makin machine,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete