Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Past Relationship Shmast Relationship

OK, so I've started a number of new relationships in my day and one thing that I've noticed pretty early on, first date sometimes, is the topic comes up of past relationships.
Past relationships: What was your longest relationship? Have you ever been in love? Have you ever had your heart broken? Have you ever broken someone's heart? When was your last relationship?
I don't love answering these questions because they make me feel like a failure. LIGHTBULB! If I'M going out with the guy he's a failure too, and if he's not then I'm in some real trouble!
Why do we talk about past relationships and use that information to judge the other person? Oh his longest relationship was only 4 months, he has commitment issues. Oh he's never been in love, he's incapable. He's never been dumped? He's cocky. He's always the one to be broken up with? What's wrong with him that I haven't figured out yet? He hasn't been in a relationship in a year? Why bother? He JUST broke up with a girl? Dude's on the rebound.
These are things we all think, these are things I'm afraid guys think when they hear my answers.
Peeps! Those of us that are still in the wonderful world of dating need to realize, we all gots baggage, we've all failed at every relationship we've EVER had for one reason or another. So let's leave it where it happened, in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment