Monday, September 16, 2013

Half Marathon #3

This past weekend I ran the Big Cottonwood Half Marathon. I have run two before. The two prior I ran with my sister and I remember specifically hating my life with just about each and every step. In the second one at about mile 11 I said to Jennie, "Jennie! We canNOT let ourselves forget how much this sucks." Of course, we didn't train for that one, so at about mile 11 our legs felt like lead and we could barely lift our feet enough to get them off the ground. I remember finishing that race and just being in so much pain. I had to walk to the trax station which was maybe 20 yards away and just looking at it I almost started crying.
Fast forward a year and seeing my brother-in-law sign up for the Big Cottonwood Marathon. I had wanted to do the half in 2012 but by the time I heard about it, it was already sold out. So I told myself I'd register this year.
The only thing I can think is that it must be like childbirth, during the process it's the worst thing ever, but you forget about all that and just want to do it again. Of course with childbirth you have a beautiful little baby at the end, and with a half marathon I get... a beautiful little medal.
The reason I decided to do this one is because it's all downhill... that appeals to me very much. I don't know if I'll ever do a flat one again, but downhill is a good friend of mine.
Anyway this morning was the race. Last night I set my alarm for 3:45 and thought to myself, "Why? Why do I do this crap?"
I knew the last bus would leave to take people to the starting point at 5:00. I am someone who is anal about being on time, and especially if it's something like this. So I woke up at 3:45, got ready, left around 4 and got to Cottonwood High School at about 4:15. I decided to take the first bus I could which got me to the starting point at about 4:40. The race started at 6:45... So I just got to stand there, for two hours in the freezing cold. Super fun.
From here I'll tell you my thought process throughout the race. The marathon started 8 miles higher than the half marathon so I would see their mile markers a little bit before my own.

Mile marker 8 (Full Marathon): I wish I was at 8 miles already...
Mile marker 1 (Half Marathon): That mile took longer than I'd like... this is gonna be a long race.
Mile marker 9 (FM): I wish I was at 9 miles already...
Mile marker 2 (HM): Is that the elevation or am I just more out of shape than I thought?
Mile marker 10 (FM): If I was at 10 miles, I'd only have three left. I wish I was at 10 miles.
Mile marker 3 (HM): I just have to do that 4 more times... plus a mile... I'm not feeling this book I'm listening to.
Mile marker 11 (FM): I wish I was at mile 11.
Mile marker 4 (HM): I'm feeling pretty good... just do that 3 more times... plus a mile.
Mile marker 12 (FM): I'd only have one mile left.
Mile marker 5 (HM): almost half way... I think I'll listen to the other book I downloaded. (Jim Gaffigan's "Dad is Fat")
Mile marker 13 (FM): awwww man!
Mile marker 6 (HM): Just about half way... I got this.
Mile marker 14 (FM): I will never run that distance in my life!
Mile marker 7 (HM): More than half way...
Mile marker 15 (FM): Seriously I'll never do that.
Mile marker 8 (HM): Only 5 miles left
Mile marker 16 (FM): Why would anyone do that?
Mile marker 9 (HM): Out of the canyon, that was pretty... I can't believe I ran the whole canyon and my knees and ankels don't hurt! I'm over this book, I'm gonna listen to spotify.
Mile marker 17 (FM): That's just silly
Mile marker 10 (HM): Just a 5k left... I can do a 5k.
(At some point in here the half and full marathons broke off so I'll just give you the HM thoughts)
Mile marker 11: At this point in the last half I pretty much wanted to die... but I'm feeling alright, guess training was a good idea.
Mile marker 12: Holy crap... one more mile. My legs are feelin pretty heavy.
Mile marker 13: Thank heaven... I can see the finish line.

I see the finish line and I'mma runnin. I hear my named yelled and I see my dad with his phone (taking video) and my brother-in-law Brock, who finished about 50 minutes before me. I'm all smiles and I cross the finish line at 2:25 which was 5 minutes faster than my goal and 10 minutes faster than my PR. I see my momma there and she gives me a big hug, I get my medal and I realize, I don't wanna die... I felt great. Yes my legs were tired, but my joints didn't hurt, I wasn't cramping and I knew I wanted to do that race again.
The only thing was I wish Jennie woulda been there with me. I did my other two half marathons with her, so to me they are "our thing". I text her after and told her it wasn't the same without her and I think I'll be able to get her to do it with me next year.

Half Marathon #3 is in the books!

This is me and my friend/former landlord Julie. I saw her in the beginning of the race and then again at the end.


Brock and me after the race.



Aaaaand the main reason I do these races, the medal at the end. (Sure sure, I like the exercise and personal achievement, blah blah blah)

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm in for next year...I'll have to start training NOW! Although, I know Brock wants to do the full next year, so...

    ReplyDelete