Saturday, September 28, 2013

The trick to my mom's approval.

All growing up I heard the story about how my dad proposed to my mom in Hawaii.
They had been dating for a while and my dad was going to Hawaii with the BYU rugby team (my dad is so rad) and he invited my mom to come along. When my mom asked her parent's permission, she was sure they would be hesitant to let her go, but to her surprise her mom said yes, vehemently. You see, my granny knew that if she went, they would most likely get engaged.
They went, he proposed and here we are 38 years later.
A few years ago I had this "friend" (I've been blessed with a lot of "friends" in my day) that was looking into buying a motorcycle. I would go with him to shop around and we would talk about it all the time. He told me he was going to be taking this motorcycle certification class and wanted me to take it with him. I was nervous and unsure if it was something I wanted to do. I knew my parents would not love the idea. I always heard my brother Nolan talk about wanting to get one and how adamant my mom was that he didn't. I was sure, the idea of me even taking this class would be laughable to her.
I went to talk to them about it, almost looking for a way out and knowing that would be a good excuse, "My parents don't want me to." So I sat them down and I told them in a way that was like, "He wants me to pay $150 to take a class to get my motorcycle certification... can you believe that???" with out delay she says, "DO IT!" I was dumfounded, "Um... Are you serious?", "Julia DO IT!" "But mom, it's $150! It's clear in Ogden, you've always fought Nolan on riding motorcycles." To which she retold the story of her mom's reaction to her going to Hawaii. Now it was her turn to want her daughter to get married, at apparently any cost. So I took the class and had a great time and am now certified. The craziest part was, after I got certified she was like, "So are you going to buy a bike?" I told her most likely not and she was like, "Well why not?" Seriously the craziest situation ever.
Clearly that guy and I never got married, we never even dated, but there have been a few times since then where I tell her something about a guy and she has a similar response. I'm asked to do something I may see as, financially irresponsible or just irresponsible in general, but in her eyes if it's in pursuit of a dude/marriage she is fully supportive.
So take note dudes. If my mom feels like you may want to marry me, you can pretty much get away with anything. BUT you should know, if we don't get married, even if you are a great guy and things end well between us, even if all we ever are is friends, if you don't want to date me, she will hate you. Hate.
I love my momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment