Friday, January 24, 2014

One of those girls.

As mentioned in my last post I'm one of those girls with a ring on her finger now, but now I'm another kind of girl too, the kind that brags about the man that loves her.

As a single girl I would get so annoyed when I'd read posts or stati about how wonderful my friend's and family's husbands/boyfriends are and I always wondered how it would feel to have someone that you wanted to have forever. I had never had that before, someone that I could actually imagine wanting to be with FOREVER!

The other day I was thinking about this man I'm going to marry, I was thinking about how supportive he is of me. He is already starting to make sacrifices for me, for our lives together, for my happiness. He has already taken this role of husband, caretaker, breadwinner... happymaker? (That's got to be a thing, he's doin it) I'm realizing how hard it is for me to rely on someone financially and things. I'm not working right now and it's terrifying, I feel like I'm not pulling my weight. He hasn't had to jump in for anything yet, but he is willing to, for us. It's hard for me to be ok with that, I feel like I'm being a burden, I'm a financial burden and my pride is taking a big hit, but not only is he willing to help me when needed, it's like he's morphed into this "head of the house" role where he is taking care of his family and I just feel, so completely lucky that I get him. He does what he can to make this frustrating time for me, easier.

When I talk about him, or think about how I'd describe him, I honestly feel like I'm bragging. I have a man who... I never thought someone would love me the way he does, and I know it's just the beginning. I love the idea that no matter what happens from here on out, I have a partner, my life is no longer my own. No matter where my life goes from here, I'll have someone going with me. The feeling that gives me is literally something I've never known before. It's so peaceful, so comforting and so SO exciting.

They tell you, as a single adult, that when it happens it will be worth all the wait, it will heal what damage has been done.
I was a skeptic, big time, I was a cynic in regards to love. I'm so grateful that even though I didn't believe it would find me, it found me anyway.
I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my bragging posts about this man of mine. As annoying as I know that will be to others, I'm so happy and relieved to be "one of those girls."

1 comment:

  1. So, I know you don't know me at all, but I've been reading your posts for a while now and just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story! I'm nearing 27 and am single and I've been skeptical of the whole 'love' thing because the 'love' that's been in my life has always fallen flat on its face! But your story gives me hope. Thanks for that. Thanks for bragging- because it helps me believe that maybe someday i'll be able to have something like that too. I think it means more hearing your story because I know you know what it's like to be older, LDS and single. Sorry if it's way creepy for me to even be posting this (cause, again, we don't know each other) but I just wanted you to know that you made me feel better about life. :) Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete