Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Wedding Dress Shopping

5 years ago my parents were about to move to Malaysia for three years. I was devastated with the thought of, "What if I get married while they are gone. Of course they will come home for my wedding, but they will barely know the guy, and who is going to take me wedding dress shopping?" It was literally my biggest fear at the time. 2 years ago they moved home and a year after that I was all, "Welcome home, I'm peace'in out to Arizona." 7 months later I met the man I am now going to marry.
My mom has met him twice my dad once. The fear that I had when they moved away was realized in the past month.
Here is the thing. I didn't take into account in-laws.
The first time I went wedding dress shopping, Matt's sister-in-law Aubri came with me. She watched me try on some dresses and helped me pick my favorite one.
I ended up having to order a different one and it arrived last week. I texted Aubri on Sunday and asked if she wanted to come with me again to try it on. She graciously agreed and told me Matt's sister Heather wanted to come as well.
I met them at noon yesterday, while we waited for them to find my dress they both started looking at other dresses and picking some out for me to try on "just for fun". Matt and I are both the youngest in our families and in both of our families it has been 8-10 years since there was a wedding. They were so excited to dress me up. Heather asked me if I would be willing to try one on if she found one. I thought, "When am I ever going to get to do this again, of course I will."
She found me a dress and I went into the dressing room to try it on. When I came out, she had about 4 more, and Aubri had found some too. The complicated part was they brought out dresses I didn't see before and I had a heck of a time deciding if I wanted to switch or not. We spent about 2 hours with me trying on dresses and veils and head pieces. It was so fun!
I won't go into detail, but I just want to say, mainly for my mom and my sister, these girls made that day so special. Though nothing could replace doing that with my mom and my sister, I still had family there. They made me feel so beautiful and, well, bridal. They went above and beyond.
I don't know if I can ever fully express to them how much that meant to me.
I am marrying into such an amazing family and I could not be happier about that. I have told Matt and other several times, if I can't be close to my family I am so lucky to be close to them.
I'm still a little heartbroken at the stuff I have to do long distance with my family, but my future in-laws are sure making it easier on me.

Here's a little teaser.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so freakin excited for you!!! I have been following your dating/wedding journey with your handsom fella! congrats times a million!

    anywhoosies. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. (its like a link party) because I love your blog and you've always been such a blog supporting buddy to me! I <3 you.
    go to my blog and this will make more sense.

    ReplyDelete