Friday, March 14, 2014

I suck at keeping secrets

So, not that it would surprise anyone. I decided that I was going to write a song for Matt to sing at our wedding luncheon. I wanted it to be a surprise.
I was nervous because I had never written a song without my friend Jaycie (aka co-member of Friends of Spencer [good times]). It was kind of a big deal to me and I didn't want it to sound all juvenile, but I'm in Arizona and she's in Utah so it wasn't the easiest thing to do together.
The week after we got engaged I sat down, I had an idea in mind for the theme of the song and I just started plucking at my guitar trying to figure out a melody.
I ended up getting the song written in about an hour. That's the thing I love about songwriting, when I have an idea in mind, it just flows.
I was so excited to have this surprise for him. I was doing a really good job of keeping it a secret, even though I do feel like most people, Matt included, would expect that from me.
The other night we were together and reading through my journal about our relationship, which was really cool, I'm so glad I wrote that stuff down. I got to his birthday and was reading about the things that I did for him. Then this came out of my mouth, "I also wrote him a so... DANG IT!" and man oh man did he ever laugh.
I was so mad/sad. He still hasn't heard the song, so at least that will be a surprise, but I'm so bummed that he knows about it, even though he told me he suspected that I'd write one.
So there you go, I suck at keeping secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment