Monday, March 3, 2014

One year down, the rest of my life to go...

One year ago today I left Utah for Arizona. I didn't know how long I'd be here. I didn't know why I was going. I didn't know what to expect.
I did know it would take a while for me to be happy. I did know, being the introvert I am, it would take a while for me to get to know people. I did know I would miss my family, friends and music buddies terribly.
I moved to Arizona because I had the strong feeling that Arizona was where I was supposed to be. I took the biggest leap of faith of my life and packed up nearly everything I owned, anything I could fit into my car and moved away from my life.
One year ago today I went to my nephew's baby blessing, and then said goodbye to everything I loved to step into an unknown future.
In the last year, I have been to California a few times, Las Vegas, Oklahoma, Lake Powell, Utah (several times) New Hampshire, Maine and Massachussetts. I have met hundreds of new people, I beat my PR at the Spudman Tri, my half marathon time. Although I haven't been able to sing nearly as much as I'd like I was still able to sing the national anthem for the Diamondbacks.
Best of all and I'm certain my purpose in moving here is, I met and got engaged to the most wonderful man.
All that being said, it has been an amazing year.
When I moved here I told everyone, including myself, that it was a temporary thing. "It'll probably be like a year, and then I'll be home" I think even then, I knew that wasn't true.
I always planned to end up in Utah. I was going to live by my family forever, I would stay in Utah forever. It's so strange to think that this year was the first year of the rest of my life.
I'm still transitioning in my head that Arizona will be "home" to me one day. Arizona will be the life my kids know. It's a strange feeling.
I can't help but think about where we will be in 5, 10... 20 years. I can't help but wonder what it will feel like to feel like Arizona is home. I can't help but think about the time when we have a community here that we can't imagine leaving. That's what I left in Utah and I know I'll have that again.
I'm so excited to have that with Matt. I'm so excited to think about where this adventure is going to take us. I'm so excited to start an entirely new life with him. I'm so excited to have him to share these new experiences with.
As heartbroken as I am to be away from the life I knew in Utah, I am just as excited, if not moreso, to start my new life with Matt. Makes waiting for our wedding that much more difficult.

A cake my co-worker made for me on my last day in the office.


Kelly and I moved the same weekend. This was at our combined farewell party.




The stairwell I got locked in, alone, the first time I decided to branch out, be brave and go to a social event.



Moore, Oklahoma. Memorial Weekend.



Getting ready to sing for the D-Backs.





Surfing in New Hampshire.



After the Spudman with the parentals.


After the Big Cottonwood Half Marathon.



After Jace's baptism.



Trapeze lessons.



My rowing crew "Strokes of Genius"



Me and the man, pumpkin carving date.



Color me Rad 5k with my friend Sayward.



Matt's graduation celebration in California.



My future.

No comments:

Post a Comment