Thursday, May 23, 2013

When you try to be sneaky...

Ok... So a couple of years ago I went on a singles cruise.
I went to a party the week before the cruise and met some people that were going to be going, and they made me REALLY not want to go. I remember calling my parents the night before telling them how badly I didn't want to go. I didn't want to be in that "scene" I remember saying, "It's just going to be a bunch of 30 year olds acting like 17 year olds without parental supervision for the first time." I had a really bad attitude. The last thing I wanted was to go and have a "cruise fling". A pseudo relationship that would only last as long as the cruise and then be as though it never happened.
I knew a lot of people that were SO LOOKING FORWARD to their cruise flings and I just wanted no part of that.
Well roughly three days in I was at dinner, and I was next you a young chap and we just laughed the whole time (big BIG seller for me is if the guy can make me laugh and we laughed). I remember thinking, "Oh no... I think I'm into this guy".
Later that night we were all up on the Lido deck just dancing away. I was talking to him and this guy came over and said, "Hey, we are all going up to the Serenity Deck (aka the adult only [aka the make out] deck)to play games." He looked at me and said, "Race you!" And we both went running.
We get up there, and NO ONE FOLLOWED! I was internally panicking. We still had like 4 days left of the cruise, I didn't want anything to happen and then to have to like "play it cool" around each other. I did NOT want to be a "cruise couple" I did NOT want anyone to know. We found this chair thingy and were both laying in it waiting for everyone else to come. I seriously was not leaving any room for misinterpretation. I was laying stiff as a board, I gave him nothing.
Here we are, laying on this deck, totally alone, stars above us, you can hear the music playing on the Lido Deck, ocean breezes coming and going, slight rocking of the boat. OH COME ON!!! So there we are, me being super awkward and him being a normal human. I just laid there thinking, "I can't do this... I can't do this..." And then, the music changes from Raggae dancing music, to "Wonderful Tonight" and other such love songs. "Are you KIDDING ME?" I honestly could not believe it. I can't even remember what I said, but I said something along the lines of, "Wow, they're really trying to amp up the 'mood'" and right then he grabbed me and kissed me. Of course it was friggen perfect. He pulled back and said, "I'm sorry, I just couldn't let that moment pass." I said, "No... yeah... that was pretty perfect." and we may or may not have kissed a bit more.
Minutes later someone came up and found us and said, everyone was actually meeting on the back of the Lido Deck. So I said, "Welp... we better go."
I was freaking out... I was adamant pre-cruise and really up to that point that I would NOT be that girl. As we were walking to the Lido Deck I almost pulled him aside to say, "Listen, let's keep this on the down low. We don't need people eyeing us all week." but I just chose to keep it to myself. Girls are way more likely to talk about that stuff than dudes, so I'd probably be fine, no one had to know.
So we joined everyone playing on the Lido deck. They were playing a game called, "Never have I ever." What happens in this game is, everyone sits in a circle and there is a person in the middle. The person in the middle says something they have never done and if you have done it you get up and have to run to another seat. The object is to not be the last person, otherwise you are then in the middle.
So we play for about an hour and then someone gets into the middle and says, "Never have I ever... made out on a cruise." Someone yells, "Be more specific." they said, "Ok, never have I ever made out on THIS cruise." My eyes dart to the guy... we both stare wide eyed at each other and I just thought. "Don't get up... don't get up" and he gets up... so I had to... we were two of four people, and the other two everyone already knew about. The whole circle went NUTS. I sat down and hear chanting, "Story! Story! Story!" I don't think my face was capable of being more red than it was in that moment.
So I did what I SWORE I wouldn't do, and my idea of keeping it under wraps lasted all of an hour.
Probably one of my most embarrassing moments, also probably one of the best first kiss stories ever.


Pretty sure that was the face I made...

Here is the blog post I wrote after that cruise... if you are so inclined/intrigued

No comments:

Post a Comment