Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Angry Eyes

Among many wonderful traits that I have been blessed to have passed on to me from my father is a look of concentration commonly referred to as "angry eyes". It's not intentional. If I am concentrating, thinking, or just plain relaxed there is a natural scowl that is on my face. I don't know I'm doing it, but it doesn't look nice. If I happen to make eye contact with you, or even look in your direction whilst making said "angry eyes" it could scare any daylights you have, right out of you.
The problem with this is, I scare people. All the time. Most of the people that I am friends with today told me that when they first met me they were, intimidated by me, thought I was a snot, or flat out afraid of me. That is not something I am proud of.
Within the past year I have been thinking about that a lot, and making a valiant effort to be more smiley. It's surprisingly difficult.
I worry if I have turned away potential suitors because I have unintentionally given them a look of death. I wonder if guys are afraid to approach me or talk to me, thinking I think I am too good for them, or that I am just a frightening individual.
I have talked to some guys about this, to get their opinion. One being my landlord, he is a 32 year old single guy who was afraid of me for the first 4 or 5 months that I lived in this house. Never said anything to me, and I never said anything to him because I was shy... not because I wanted to kill him or anything. He said that one day he was outside working on our pool, and I came walking out wearing these tall red heels (which is not uncommon) and I gave him a look like, "what are you doing in my backyard?" I remember that day. It was sunny, I was on my way to my cousin Jessica's bridal shower. I walked through the backyard, saw him, didn't know him well so didn't say anything, just noticed that they were working on the pool. I mention it was sunny because that just adds to the scowl, I was squinting, in addition to scowling. I can imagine the fear that passed through his body.
People I am all of 5'4" I don't understand what is so frightening about me.
Anyway it really does bother me. I am a nice person. If you just talk to me I like pretty much most people. (Let's not kid ourselves, there are people that drive me insane)
I was talking to my friend Nate about this, telling him I was frustrated that guys wouldn't approach me because of this. He assured me that if these guys are "Men" that wouldn't be enough to scare them away. Said if he was interested in a girl he wouldn't be afraid to approach them. I told him he was a special breed. He does things right, asks girls on dates instead of just hanging out, isn't afraid to approach them, isn't intimidated if the girl is with other guys, he will make his presence known. More dudes could learn from him. He did make me feel better though.
So to summarize, I may be frightening on the outside, but I'm sweet as can be on the inside, unless you cross me :)
Don't judge a book by it's cover, or because it scowls at you, or because you think it's too good for you, or wears red high heels. Really you shouldn't judge books.

2 comments:

  1. This blog reverberates in my soul. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me that when they first met me they thought I was "stuck-up" or just plain angry, I may not be rich, but I could certainly buy something that cost about a hundred dollars. I'm sorry Jules. I admit this is entirely my fault. Tobi's sister, Vickie caught me concentrating from across the room one time. When I looked at her without stopping to rearrange my face, she almost screamed. You can force yourself to go the opposite way for only so long before your forehead gets tired or people start calling you weird.
    Anyway, Love you. Keep smiling.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true. I always try to catch your Dad's eye as he sits at Church scowling down on everyone and try to get him to smile. It just cracks me up. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete