Saturday, April 3, 2010

Shoes: For or Against?

I have been told once that there are a few topics that girls talk about that force guys to mentally fall asleep. Shopping, make-up and "ponies" to name a few. It has been said that the only thing that can bring a guy out of the mental coma, is the mention of something like, sports, or guns, or perhaps Eva Longoria.
One topic to which guys daze are shoes. I have a deep love for them, and own many a pair. I like the way they make my legs look, I like the way they make my feet look. I think high-heels are very flattering.
I always thought girls bought shoes like this, to please the men-folk. To make ourselves more attractive for them, but recent experience makes me question that theory.
I have a good friend who when I first met him would always comment on my shoes. Calling them snazzy and sassy and the like. Then when we became better friends I wore a pair of heels around him, and he said, "You know guys hate shoes like that right?" What? The same guy who I thought loved them, would compliment me on them, and then turn away in disgust at my choice of footwear? I felt betrayed. He told me that to him, shoes like that made the girl come across as high maintenance, and that is NOT the kind of girl he wanted. He loves when girls where flats, LOVES a girl in a hoody, and about passes out if a girl looks good in a beanie.
I understand that not all men want those same qualities, but since then I have always wondered. Are guys turned off by my shoes? Have I been wrong this whole time? Are the men that I am trying to attract turning in the opposite direction because of what I am using to attract them? (Granted I have other qualities, attributes, and features that I would hope help in the attraction process, I don't simply rely on my shoes to do the work. I don't walk up to a guy that I am interested in and hold up my shoes, I'm just sayin.)
So this leads me to my question. Do guys, or do they not like high-heels?
Are girls wearing heels to impress the dudes, or to impress each other? We buy them, and show them off to our friends. We notice other girl's shoes. We talk about shoes to each other. Are we only trying to impress each other?
In my opinion I think that is a big factor in the shoe buying process. BUT, I also think they still make my legs look good, which is appealing to the opposite sex. I have some good calves, heels definitely help accentuate those. They are one body part I am proud of, so I wear the heels.
That being said, I know they aren't practical. I know in winter wearing high heels is asking to slip and fall in what can only be a devestatingly embarrassing fashion. I know that they hurt, and after a day of wearing heels and being on my feet I would be in so much pain that my walking for the next day or so would be like that of an 80 year old woman, who was drunk, and rode a horse for hours and hours. I know that if I was wearing heels, and was to be chased by a murderer I would have next to no hope and be killed almost immediately. I realize all this, yet, I wear them, almost daily, and I must say I rock them!
I like to think that my friend is in the minority of guys. That most guys actually do like heels, because I know full well, I am not going to stop wearing them, and I am not going to stop buying them.
I also would like to point out that I am not a high maintenance girl. I am not a huge fan of shopping. I love rock climbing and camping and hiking and playing sports and trying new things, and getting dirty, and being active. I don't mind getting my hair wet when I swim. I don't wear new make-up to the gym, I don't look cute at the gym at all. I do however own over 30 pairs of shoes. That, gentlemen, does not define me.
I realize that all the guys that may have been led to this blog, are probably unconscious right now, so I will end by saying one thing. Eva Longoria.

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I'm pro shoe. As much as a heterosexual male can be I suppose. While I may not notice a 'great pair' I will notice if something looks bad. As far as making legs look good, I don't think I've ever noticed shoes as an enhancer before. that's not to say I haven't noticed legs looking good in heels.
    2 reasons I'm pro shoe.
    1. They make girls happy to have them and I'd rather have a happy/confidant girl than a disgruntled one.
    2. Other Girls will notice what a catch you have because THEY care about the shoes she is wearing.
    As for the high maint. thing, I think guys will often see that as the tip of an iceberg, but until they get to know said girl they shouldn't judge. Maybe THEY got them because THEY can afford them. Eventually, in any relationship money will come up and frugality will be addressed if necessary.
    That being said, anything over a 3 inch heel is a bit much in my opinion. But that's still pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta hand it to ya Jules, the pain you endure for the sake of fashion and nice legs is admirable and impressive. I have one pair of heels that I wear to church on special occasions and it's quite a mind game working up the courage to wear them. Each time, I ask myself if I am mentally prepared to endure the blisters that will inevitably emerge below my big toenail during the short walk from sacrament to primary. I admire any girl who is able to put mind over matter and wear the dang shoes.
    I always assumed that girls who wear heels somehow have feet of steel. Good to know that it's not my feet that are inferior, just my pain tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't speak for all guys, but I love the way high heels look on girls. Very attractive. I'm pretty sure though that I'm pretty normal that way. If you like them, wear them! But with that said, don't kill yourself either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30 shoes, now be truthful, more like 130 shoes!!! Your shoes are crazy!! Once in a while for a formal. The way you are headed you are going to kill yourself!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my stance on girls shoes:

    I *definitely* notice them. I love shoes myself, (very heterosexually of course). My favorites on girls are flats. I think I like them because they're cute. Heels are a bit more intimidating. They might mean high-maintenance. Or they might mean she thinks she's in charge, when *I* should be in charge. (And i don't mean that as a power-hungry male or anything. It's just the guy's job to wear the pants). But yes, sometimes heels are sooooo nice. Heels with jeans for example are MMMmmm Mmmmm good.

    So I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to worry about wearing heels being a bad thing. I'd would, however, suggest also branching out a bit more to some other sexy styles that also catch a guy's eye.

    Just my $.02

    ReplyDelete