Friday, April 16, 2010

Skeptic or Realist

Ok so I just returned from a 5 day LDS single's cruise, and it left me with some opinions that I am not sure how I feel about.
The reason for me going on this cruise is, I am in a singing group, and we were asked to perform for the people going on the cruise. I have never been on a single's cruise before so I thought this would be a really good opportunity to meet new people.
I have never been great at meeting new people, there was a time in my life when I HATED meeting new people. I have a hard time talking to people I don't know, and being myself. For some reason, on this cruise, that didn't apply to me anymore.
I went with my singing group, which is three other guys. That meant I was basically on my own. I was going to be sharing a room with three girls, who I had never met before, and I'm not going to lie, I was pretty worried about how this was going to end up.
I had intentions when going, not that I was going to meet "the one" but I certainly hoped that I would meet some viable options. Exchange numbers here and there, but I didn't expect anything more than that.
I did notice though, that there were some people on that cruise on a mission. They were dedicated on meeting their Eternal Companion on this cruise.
It was funny to watch the people that did get paired up. This is where the title of the post comes into play.
I met a lot of guys on this cruise, and honestly I would like to hang out with all of them, I had a lot of fun and like to make new friends. I was not about to single myself out to one person. I was not going on a cruise to be attached the whole time. I would see people that did that and just think about what they could have missed out on doing, who they could have missed out on meeting.
I find it hard to believe that those people that paired off are really going to have a lasting relationship when the cruise is over, so what was the point? Why do that to your vacation? I wouldn't want to look back having mainly hung out with one person, and then nothing ever came from it.
I met a lot of people who I really hope to see a lot. The girls I roomed with were awesome we hit it off right off the bat, and I would love to keep hanging out with them. I met a lot of guys I want to be friends with. That being said, I didn't come home expecting things to stay as they were on the cruise.
It was really nice to escape reality, to go on this cruise alone and meet an entirely new group of people, to make a group of friends that I did everything with, but I knew the whole time it would come to an end. That no matter how much we said we were going to hang out, it would eventually fade, and I am sure we will keep in contact, but we all had lives to come home to.
So am I just being realistic in thinking those relationships were just good memories? Or am I just too skeptical in thinking there isn't any point in expecting anything to come from them.
I realized that I do this in real life too. (The cruise was not real life) I find myself asking "what's the point?" I meet new people, and make new friends, and the skeptic inside me says "Don't get attached". How do I stop that? And is it skepticism?
I like the people I met, and I hope to maintain a relationship with all of them, but I find myself with my gloves up. Skeptic or Realist?

5 comments:

  1. I didn't even know they had LDS single's cruises. I'm always terrified of places like that being meat markets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they absolutely are. I had never done one before, and don't know if I ever would have, but I was hired to sing, so free cruise? yes please. It was really fun, and an awesome way to meet new people. I was just going to meet friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always time to be friendly, but not always time for friendship. (reality) Be open to possibilities and put the effort in relationships when you are able to and want to. Sometimes you will have to take a chance, if you want to see if something comes out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Vicki. It never hurts to be amicable, but it takes a seriously good impression to want to be amorous. In the end, though, as I've said before, I feel that love is simply a gift. As an individual we can do everything possible, but you can't MAKE a true connection if it's not there, can't FORCE someone to be loving and you can't FORCE yourself to love someone. It's just a gift, mostly from Heavenly Father, but activated by mutual love for each other. What I'm saying is, keep cruising until you find him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be too much of a skeptic. You never know where or how you will meet "the one." I met Eric at a party. Believe me I did not expect to meet anyone at this party (I was invited there by two ex-boyfriends who didn't know each other- I was there because it was a strange coincidence). But I talked to Eric a little bit and at the end of the night he asked for my number. I was certain he would never call... unfortunately you do have to make yourself a little vulnerable in relationships, and SHOW your vulnerability, and I know that is the hardest thing for you to do. It goes back to 'The power lies with who cares less" except that those who care less will often lose out in the end

    ReplyDelete