Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Flirting

I consider myself to be a pretty artsy person. I am a singer, I love to draw and write and create things. There is one form of art that I am not proficient at, that is the art of flirting.
I believe it is an art form. Sometimes I watch people in amazement as they flirt, wishing I possessed those skills.
I am not a touchy person. Physical flirtation is near impossible for me. I once was interested in a guy, and I was talking to my friend Chris about what I needed to do to show that. He seemed interested but he was a very shy guy and would need to KNOW that I was not going to reject him... Chris told me that I needed to step up the physical flirtation. Touch his arm. That was his biggest advice. Touch his arm. I still don't understand this. I have heard this from several guys. What is it with the arm touch? I don't get it. I think it's just because it is universally known, if a girl touches your arm it's because she has been told that that is what you are supposed to do. So a guy gets the arm touch and knows it's intentional. Is that it? Is that the only reason, or is there some reaction that goes through a guy when his arm is touched by a female hand that sends some message to his brain that says, "You must date and marry this girl?" I digress... back to my point. It seems simple, so one day after church he and I were talking, for some time. We laughed, I smiled, I controlled my "angry eyes" (refer to previous post title "Angry Eyes" to understand this) but I could not get myself to touch his arm. The whole time I was thinking about it, "ok the next time he says something funny, just reach over and touch his arm, just slightly it's easy." I couldn't do it. We talked for a good twenty minutes and nothing. Chris had been watching the whole time, and he was appalled. I just can't do it, I feel like I'm trying too hard, or that it's obvious that I have no idea what I'm doing. There was one day I was talking to him, after church again, and he said something teasing me, so I grabbed his tie and pushed him a little. This was brilliant to me, I told Chris about it, so proud of myself, and he said that wouldn't work. What??? That's what ties are for! He said, the arm touch is much more effective. I got a second opinion on that one, because it seems to me the tie would be way more effective, but both dudes said the same thing. I don't get it. So anyway I suck at physical flirtation.
I am pretty good at flirting via text AKA the written word. I am a pretty witty person, especially if I have a little extra time to organize my thoughts, and prepare the most hilarious of things to say. Text messaging is great for me, that is when I am on my game. I am much better at flirting via text aka text message, than on the actual phone, so I prefer texting. Also you don't have to worry about them not responding well, in person that is awkward, whereas if they just don't text back you can tell yourself it's because they are busy or something, not that they think you are stupid.
I am also really good at flirting when I am not interested, which sucks. I do enjoy flirting, and if I feel like there is nothing at stake, then I am great at it. How lame is that? I can flirt like the best of them if I don't want anything to come from it.
I don't like being flirted with, just to flirt. That plays all sortsa games with my mind. I was talking to a guy recently, and we were flirting pretty heavily. It was thick! We talked for a good 20 minutes and the whole time it was clear there was something there. It was practically tangible. When the conversation was over and we said goodbye, I thought to myself, "Oh something is about to happen there." I turned to my friend and said, "He and I TOTALLY just had a moment." Then what happened you might ask? Nothing. That's right, not a dang thing. I haven't even heard from the guy since. That drives me nuts. Don't flirt like that unless you intend on following through.
Flirting, when it's good, it's really good, and I love it, I just need to learn how to control it. I think it comes down to confidence, flirting because you know you have something they want. I'm getting there.
I am fascinated watching people flirt. Watching how people react to being flirted with. I need to up my game. Practice makes perfect, I'm on it!

3 comments:

  1. hahaha! The arm touch...yes, that is a good one. Good luck with all of this...especially controlling the angry eyes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies for the deleted comment but it did not feel right... but I like this...."Sometimes outgoing women are more comfortable showing interest and reserved women can feel overlooked, but each woman can prayerfully step out of her comfort zone and show interest in a manner consistent with her personality"...taken from LDS.org. I think this can apply to the men as well. It's so true, everyone is unique and different, I know many of my friends who were not huge flirts and they ended up with really great guys, they just learned to show interest in a manner that was consistent with their character.

    For example, unlike you I do not believe I will ever be on my game through texting. I think showing open, honest and sincere interest in a personal way is when I am on my game per say. texting however...I will never master that...I tried it a couple of times and it never worked in my favor:)

    I completely agree with you "Don't flirt like that unless you intend on following through" I do not think that is a kind thing to do to anyone

    Good thoughts Julia..keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete