Monday, May 31, 2010

Texting, it's a dangerous road.

Alright, this story begins about 3 months ago. Reader's digest version is, I had gone out with a guy, and was given the "Let's be friends" line. At the time, it was humorous to me, because I had been told that so many times. It was becoming the theme of my life.
I got together with my friend, and songwriting partner Jaycie Voorhies, and was telling her about it, and I thought, "I need to write a song about this, it just keeps happening". So we wrote the song "Just Friends". We laughed the whole time we were writing it, knowing that pretty much all single people would be able to relate to this story, because at one point or another we have all been through it.
Since then, I have become pretty good friends with said line giver, and have been singing the song at a lot of venues, and always thought, "If he hears this song, would he know he was sort of the muse behind it?" I didn't really want him to know, as I felt it didn't really apply to him.
Saturday Jaycie and I performed at an open mic night, which said line giver would be attending. I realized on the way there that I would be singing that song, and was afraid he would pick up on some similarities.
After our set I went down and talked to him and he didn't really say anything, just that he really enjoyed our set.
After the show my roommate Melissa and I went to his house and were hanging out with him and his roommate, and he started talking about the songs and he said, "One made me think... 'Gosh I hope I don't ever say that to a girl'" I smiled and looked at Melissa thinking, "He knows". I went into the kitchen to send her a text that said, "Um yeah, he knows it's about him" and then I sent the text TO HIM!!!!
As soon as I hit send, I saw his name and audibly started freaking out!!! I ran around in the kitchen not knowing what to do. I ran into the living room where we were hanging out and just thought, "How could I possible stop what is about to happen from happening?" All I could do was muster out the words, "Can I have your phone?" Right then, as though in slow motion, I see him reach into his pocket, at the notification of receipt of a text. I wanted to DIE! I just thought, "There is nothing I can do at this point." I was mortified. I was laughing so hard, just because I didn't know what else I could do. Everyone knew before he read the text what had just happened. All he said as he was opening it was, "This is gonna be awkward" Melissa was dying because she just knew what the content of the text would be. I was banging my fists against the wall thinking, "There is no way this just happened to me."
He read the text, and laughed, showed it to his roommate who laughed. I just said, "This is easily my most embarrassing moment." Melissa followed with, "Even I am embarrassed" To which said line giver said, "Raise of hands, who's not embarrassed here?"
The thing is I have sent inadvertant text messages before, but the receiver was never in the same room as me!!! It was horrible!!!
At one point I just said, through humiliation, "One day... we'll look back on this... and laugh." He said, "yeah, it'll be a while."
As the night went on, every once in a while I would replay the scenario and go red and start laughing again. I just could not believe I did that. Luckily by the end of the night, things were normal, and though, I am sure, we were all still thinking about it, we acted as though we weren't.
So there you have it folks. My most embarrassing moment

6 comments:

  1. I think this is at least the second time you have done this. I thought you were a master texter? Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty awesome. I must say. I am so glad that texting wasn't around when I was dating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahhahaha! I can laugh now but the last time I sent an inadvertent text it cost me someone I love. However this story?? SO funny. And really not THAT embarrassing cause the guy seems pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best entry yet!!! Thanks for the entertainment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good times! Good times! I could picture it all so perfectly in my head! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are unbelievable. What a nightmare. Although, HE is the one who embarrassed should be. He being the principal "line giver."

    ReplyDelete